Taking good care of your mouth leads to many benefits, not just to your oral health but to physical and mental well-being. Good oral health leads to good overall health and positive oral hygiene is not specifically to do with just your teeth. Let’s detail the connection between oral health and overall health.
With bad oral health, this can lead to tooth decay and a build-up of harmful bacteria. It can also lead to bad breath and gum disease, limiting the ability to smile and destroying any self-confidence. Without brushing your teeth, it could lead to serious diseases and illnesses affecting your overall health. Therefore, positive oral hygiene is essential to prevent a build-up of plaque and tartar and limit chances of halitosis and periodontal disease.
What Exactly Is Good Hygiene?
The dental hygienist is best placed to educate and recommend tips on how to manage your oral health for your pearly whites. Below describe the basic rules that make up good oral hygiene, that you should follow for a healthy, shiny mouth:
- Maintain a balanced diet – It can be easy to fall into a diet that contains starch, sugar and processed fats. Sugars interact with harmful bacteria within the plaque, leading to tooth decay. This dissolves the enamel creating holes and cavity. These are signs that you need a permanent filling to protect the tooth from further damage. Eat healthy wholefoods containing less sugar and more fiber and calcium such as vegetables, fish and eggs.
- Brush and Floss Twice A Day – Brushing and flossing your teeth keeps them healthy and limits cavities and gum disease. Flossing is also beneficial after a heavy meal or rinses your mouth with lukewarm water to keep debris away, leaving your mouth clean.
- Regularly Visit Your Hygienist – Booking regular check-ups with the hygienist will allow them to determine the state of your teeth and keep your mouth shining for longer. A scale-and-polish procedure helps keep tartar, plaque and cavities at bay to reduce oral health risks.
What Are The Benefits Of Good Oral Hygiene?
Look forward to these benefits to your teeth and gums:
- Limit Chance Of Gum Disease – Those who do not brush and floss regularly are expected to suffer from gingivitis and periodontitis. In turn, this could cause further symptoms of bad breath, swelling and tooth loss. Keep your teeth clean and shiny every day.
- Limit Chance Of Tooth Decay – A sugary diet is the worst thing imaginable for your teeth. Cavities would begin to develop, decaying teeth. You could also suffer from tooth loss. Keep your teeth healthy and strong with good oral hygiene.
- Limit Chance Of Oral Cancer – Poor gums contributes to certain types of cancer. The substances from bacteria in the mouth may boost cancer cells.
Read here to understand how sugar damages your teeth and causes cavities.
Oral health is linked to your overall health and it’s important that you look after your teeth and mouth each and every day. Teeth play an important role in our lives. With a shiny smile, opportunities grow as well as your self-confidence and self-esteem.
If you need immediate assistance, contact Kooringal Dental in Wagga Wagga immediately and book your appointment with us now. Click here to book or see our profile to find a dentist near me